NIE Applications

Foreigners having an economic, professional or social connection with Spain may apply personally for an N.I.E.

Article 206 of the Regulations of Organic Law 4/2000, on the rights and freedoms of foreigners in Spain and their social integration, approved by Royal Decree 557/2011, of 20 April, sets forth that foreigners having a relation with Spain for economic, professional or social interests shall be provided with a personal, unique and exclusive sequential number, for identification purposes.

Consequently, foreigners having a relation with Spain for economic, professional or social interests may personally apply for an N.I.E. at the Directorate-General of the Police, either directly or through Spain’s Consular Posts abroad.

Applications must be submitted at the Consular Post of the district in which the foreigner resides, either personally or through a duly accredited representative, and the application must be accompanied by a copy of the biographical page of the passport containing the holder’s information (EU citizens can provide a copy of their identity card), and by proof of the economic, professional or social interests justifying the application.

Application for Foreigner’s Identification Number (NIE) and Certificates.

Here are some of the most common procedures for which you will need a Spanish NIE number:


Open a bank account


Buying or selling motor vehicles


Becoming self-employed


Inheritance Taxes


Getting a Spanish driver’s licence


Buying or selling property


Paying taxes in Spain


Being legally employed


Registering a business

The list goes on but as a general guide, any activities of a legal nature will require a Spanish NIE number.

If you don’t want to have to worry about documentation, paperwork, appointments and bureaucracy, let us take care of everything and we’ll will make the process easy and smooth for you. You just need to enjoy our country!

We are people who work for people

We provide a full range of services that you can trust.

Open chat
Hello, how I can help you?